Page head image

The 10 Euro Fursuit Head Dryer


Admittedly, a dryer for the head mask is more work, but still can be very cheap. One important aspect: it has to be lightweight but must be able to carry a fursuit head without tipping. So, another boring Sunday afternoon project was born. Version 1 looked like this:

Head Dryer v1

I used:

  • two short pieces (150 mm) of HT DN 75 sewer pipe (doesn't exist as NPS, maybe NPS 2½ works)
  • a bunch of 4 mm (#8) screws of various length
  • some nuts and washers
  • a plastic rain pipe sieve
  • a 60×60×10 mm fan for 5V (or one for 12V that still delivers a lot of air at 5V)
  • a small plastic box lid for the fan plate
  • a large plastic box lid for the base plate
  • rubber bands
  • an old USB cable to connect to a power supply


  • one pipe may be shortened to your need
  • take the rubber ring out of the connector of the other pipe (and clean it from the grease)
  • cut off the narrow part of its connector so that only the thick part (where the rubber ring was) remains, otherwise the pipe end won't fit over the nuts that are holding the fan
  • mark and drill all the holes
  • cut a 60 mm hile into the small lid
  • fasten the fan
  • pull the the rubber ring over the pipe
  • the long screws must be moveable to a certain degree, at their threads are going to clamp the the pipe to the fan plate along with the rubber band

Construction v1

This works pretty well, but after a while the plastic lid wears out and the whole construction becomes rather wobbly. Also, if you want to fasten the lid on the box, remember to figure out where the cable goes before soldering the USB cable to the fan cable, otherwise you might need to cut another hole into the lid ot have the cable go into the box for transport. The screws through the base plate should be fixed to the plate with locking nuts, likewise the long screws that are clamping the pipe. The rest should be fastened only lightly to be able to take the whole thing apeart for easy transport.

As I wrote, the lid holding the pipes and fan wears out quite quickly, but I found some thin but riggid plastic bread boards at Ikea and updated the dryer to version 2.

Marking the drill holes:

Markers v2

After drilling and cutting:

Drilled Fan Plate v2


Head Dryer v2

The base plate is still good, the larger Ikea bread boards unfortunately are rather thick and heavy.


There are currently no comments

New Comment


required (not published)