Viewing posts tagged martes
I've decided to move martes.yaina.de to a rental machine. Not only that it's less expensive, it also has the advantage that someone else than me takes care of the hardware.
Just a quick heads-up: My co-located machine martes.yaina.de keeps crashing after a reboot. I'm going to move to a rental machine ASAP (on Monday at earliest,) but it will take a couple of days until everything is working again. The current plan is:
- Retrieve the broken machine from the data center
- Recover the harddisk
- Set up the base system on the new machine
- Set up DNS (Secondaries: I'll send you an e-mail with the new IP number)
- Restore e-mails
- Set up e-mail services
- Restore web services
- Restore everything else
I'll send an update to all users as soon as service is back to normal.
11 years, 6 months ago
I've successfully updated my machine located at the data centre from openSUSE 11.0 to 11.1 via a remote SSH connection and "zypper dup" yesterday. Contrary to my previous experiences with online upgrades, only minor obstacles were encountered:
- Jabberd, the only package from OBS, got rebuilt between downloading the meta data and the package itself
- Zypper somehow got confused by blank characters in repo locations midway through the update (simply restarting zypper helped)
- I had to copy back my manually edited postfix configuration as it was replaced by the generic one from the RPM
- Tomcat6 startup scripts missing JAVA_HOME
Just two hours of work (mainly observing zypper working and checking functionality), no serious breakage, no trip to the data centre, no manual update of half of the packages. I'm truly impressed.